If you are looking for a fun recipe to take to your next summer picnic or outing, here’s one of our favorites! These S’More Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Bites are a fun treat to make with the kids, and are great for packaging up and giving as party favors, too.
Following is a step-by-step picture tutorial, or just skip to the recipe and directions at the bottom of the post if you prefer.
This quick-to-make, kid friendly treat requires only 3 ingredients: graham crackers, chocolate bars, and large marshmallows.
First, coarsely crush 6-8 graham crackers with a nut chopper or rolling pin to make about 1 cup of chopped graham crackers. Personally, we prefer using our trusty nut chopper for this process, as it is quick, makes less mess, and chops the grahams to the perfect size.
Next, melt the chocolate. We recommend using a good quality dark chocolate, but milk chocolate and white chocolate are great substitutes. One of our favorite places to get a good deal on high quality European chocolate is Aldi — their Choceur brand runs about $1.99 for a 5.29 oz bar. Chocolate chips work great too.
Chop the chocolate into smaller similar-sized pieces to make sure it melts evenly.
Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe dish or melt on the stove top using a double broiler over low heat. If using a microwave (our preference since it is much quicker), melt your chocolate on a low (50%) power setting in 30 second increments to avoid scorching or burning it. After each 30 second increment, stir the chocolate until it is completely melted and is smooth & shiny.
Note that it is important to stir between each 30-sec increment as chocolate is easy to burn & scorch. Chocolate retains its shape even when melted (see pic above), so the only real way to know if it is truly melted is to stir it to see if it has become a liquid. Once it is liquid you can proceed to the next assembly step.
Line a large cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper.
To assemble, dip one marshmallow at a time in the melted chocolate then place on the lined cookie sheet.
Sprinkle chopped graham crackers on top of melted chocolate.
Set marshmallows off to the side for 1-2 hours to let chocolate harden and set. This process can be sped up by placing the cookie sheet of dipped & assembled marshmallows in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
Easy S’More Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Bites
- 1 cup coarsely chopped graham cracker crumbs (we used the Low-Fat Honey Maid Grahams, but regular grahams would be dandy, too)
- 10 oz of dark chocolate bars or chips (can substitute milk chocolate or white chocolate)
- 1 Bag of large marshmallows
- Line a large cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave (see directions above) or on the stove in a double broiler over low heat.
- Dip one marshmallow at a time in the melted chocolate then place on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle chopped graham crackers on top of melted chocolate.
- Set marshmallows off to the side for 1-2 hours to let chocolate harden and set. This process can be sped up by placing the cookie sheet of marshmallows in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes 24-30 S’More Marshmallow Bites.
Enjoy and share! : )
Want to keep up with fresh ways to save money
and button down the family finances?
Subscribe to Frugal in Fort Worth now. It’s FREE
Linking to Amazon through our site helps support
Frugal in Fort Worth (thanks!).