All Jazzed Up and Someplace to Go
Take a musical journey from the 20th century roots of Jazz to the diverse sounds of the present with the Fort Worth Library’s Third Thursday Jazz Series. This five-concert series features an outstanding list of nationally and locally known talent and is FREE and open to the public. The monthly lineup offers everything from swing jazz to the blues and will include some amazing artists ~ like jazz saxophonist Brad Leali (former lead for the Harry Connick, Jr Orchestra) and grammy-award winning trombonist Robin Eubanks (collaborated with a variety of notable musicians such as Art Blakey, Barbra Streisand, The Rolling Stones and Talking Heads).
Brad Leali, Alto Saxophonist, Kicks Off The Series ~ May 17
The inauguration of the 2012 series (Thursday, May 17, 6:30PM) showcases Grammy nominated Brad Leali, former lead alto saxophonist for the Harry Connick, Jr Orchestra and director of the Count Basie orchestra. Leali’s quintet will feature the music of “The Bebop Revolution,” including toe-tapping tunes from Charlie Parker and Dizzie Gillespie. Leali has backed up a lengthy list of artists including Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, John Legend, Mary J. Blige, Herbie Hancock, Fantasia, Billy Joel, Kid Rock, Yolanda Adams, and Brian McKnight. He has been one of the top jazz musicians in New York City and has made numerous television appearances including The Today Show, Jay Leno Tonight Show, and Arsenio Hall.
The Brad Leali quintet performance will also feature trumpeter Ephraim Owens, Paul Unger on bass, pianist Michael Palma, and Andrew Griffith on drums.
What: For more information, visit the Third Thursday Jazz Series website.
When: Thursday, May 17 ~ 6:30pm. See the monthly lineup below for additional concert dates.
Where: In the Gallery of the Fort Worth Central Library. You can park on the street or in the 3rd St. & Taylor Parking Garage. The parking garage is FREE after 6:00pm or if you go earlier, have your parking ticket validated at the Central Library for up to 2.5 hours free on weekdays.
Cost: FREE, no ticket required.
Third Thursday Jazz Series Monthly Lineup
- May 17: Brad Leali Quintet. “The Bebop Revolution” features the music of Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie.
- June 21: Victor Cager, Tatiana Mayfield, and the Duane Durrett Trio. Featuring vocalist Tatiana Mayfield, this band will perform “Singing and Swinging: Art of the Jazz Vocalist.”
- July 19: James Shannon Quartet. “Smoking at the Library” will showcase the incredible guitar style of Wes Montgomery.
- August 16: Adonis Rose Quintet. This Grammy Award winning drummer brings his New Orleans sound to the series.
- September 20: Robin Eubanks Quintet. Eubanks has been voted best trombonist in DownBeat magazine’s international critics poll five times.
Enjoy and Share! :)
Want to keep up with fresh ways to save money
and button down the family finances?
Subscribe to Frugal in Fort Worth now. It’s FREE!
Linking to Amazon through our site helps support Frugal in Fort Worth (thanks!).