It is finally beginning to feel like autumn in Texas and that means it is time for the annual Texas State Fair! If you are seeking to take your family at the lowest cost possible, be sure and check out our savings guide below. We can help you save a bundle and if you plan it right, you can even attend for FREE!
Texas State Fair Events Begin Today, September 27
(Runs September 27-October 20, 2013)
This year’s line up of events is as extensive as ever. Free Concerts (with admission) include: Casting Crowns, Asleep at the Wheel, Blondie, Molly Ringwald, and more great bands. There is so much to see and do. Check out the line up of concerts here, the list of celebrity chef demonstrations here, and the full schedule of events here.
Lots of Ways to Save on Tickets
General admission fair tickets are normally $17/person. Plan ahead, and you can enjoy your day at a deep discount (or even attend for FREE) with one of the many ways to save on your tickets. Following is a roundup of discount options:
1. Kroger Grocery Store is the official site for advanced discount ticket purchases. We do recommend calling the Kroger service desk before stopping by to purchase tickets, as not all locations offer these tickets:
Advance General Admission: $16 (compared to $17 at gates). Valid for any one-day admission.
Advance Season Pass: $34.95 (Only sold at Kroger, and not sold at State Fair admission gates). This is a great deal if you are going to make multiple visits during the fair. This season pass includes: Unlimited visits for 2013, a one-day companion ticket (good Monday-Friday) and one Cinemark movie ticket.
2. September 27, Opening Day $6 Admission with a Food Donation to the North Texas Food Bank ~ Bring a full 20 oz. bottle of Dasani water (or any Coca-Cola product) for donation to the North Texas Food Bank containers at Fair admission gates to get in for $6 per person, per donation.
3. October 3, Dickies Day FREE Admission ~ Anyone wearing a Dickies logo clothing item will receive a free voucher for admission to the Fair on same day.
4. Tuesdays, Dr Pepper Day: $5 Admission & 6 Coupon Rides~ On Tuesdays, bring an empty Dr Pepper can to the admission gate and enter for $5. Most rides (excluding the Thrillway and the Texas Star) are 6 coupons as well.
5. Wednesdays, Kroger Food Drive Day: 3 Cans for $3 Admission ~ When you bring 3 cans of food (per person) for area food banks, get admission for $3.
6. Thursdays, Coke Day: $6 Admission ~ Bring an empty 20 oz. bottle of a Coca-Cola product and enter the Fair for $6 admission.
7. Thursdays, Seniors Day: FREE Admission ~ Senior Citizens 60 years and older get into the State Fair FREE each Thursday.
8. Thursdays, Cinemark: FREE Admission ~ Present a Cinemark Movie Theater ticket stub and receive a free admission (one person per ticket stub) on any Thursday.
9. Fridays, $5 OFF with KISS-FM coupon ~ Download and print a coupon from the KISS-FM website (here) to get $12 admission with the coupon. Discount is off of general admission only, when purchased at a State Fair of Texas admission gate with coupon
10. Fridays, Fort Worth Star Telegram Press Pass Savings: Buy One Get One FREE ~ With your valid Press Pass card and State Fair of Texas coupon printed in the Star-Telegram (Friday’s DFW.com section) you receive a second ticket free when you purchase a general admission ticket at any State Fair of Texas ticket booth (at regular price of $17.00). Offer expires October 18, 2013.
11. Fridays, Fort Worth Star Telegram Gold Press Pass Savings: 2 FREE General Admission Tickets for October 4th ~ Present your valid Gold Press Pass card and State Fair of Texas coupon printed in the Star-Telegram (Friday’s DFW.com section) and you receive two free general admission tickets to the State Fair of Texas. Offer valid only on Friday, October 4 and offer cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion.
12. After 5pm any day, Dr Pepper Day: $8 Admission ~ After 5pm, admission is $8 when you bring an empty Dr Pepper can to any State Fair admission gate.
13. Any Day $3 Off, McDonald’s ~ McDonald’s offers $3 off General Admission any day of the Fair, with one of their State Fair coupons (available on the tray liner or as a bag stuffer). A half price child with purchase of general admission coupon is also distributed by McDonald’s.
Offers may not be combined together.
:: Learn more about the State Fair of Texas here.
Enjoy and Share! :)
Want to keep up with fresh ways to save money
and button down the family finances?
Subscribe to Frugal in Fort Worth now. It’s FREE!
Linking to Amazon through our site helps support Frugal in Fort Worth (bunches of thanks!)
Can you combine free senior admission for one person on Thursday with $8 and a Dr. Pepper can after 5:00 or a Cinemark ticket stub for second person on a Thursday?
Hi Lori. Yes, but I’m pretty sure they will need to be handled as separate ticket transactions. Last Thursday, we did the free Cinemark deal at the ticket window, but the senior tickets and dickies deal were being handled at a separate table (near the ticket window). It will probably be the same this Thursday. They are pretty organized with handling theses deals and there was no wait at either place.
We’d love to hear a report back on your experience! Have fun! : )