The end of September is almost here and there is a cool breeze in the air. Yes, it is fall in Texas and that means it is time for the annual State Fair (and the “culinary” smells of every artery-clogging food known to mankind wafting through the air)!
Texas State Fair Events Begin This Friday
(Runs September 25-October 18, 2009)
This year’s line up of events is as extensive as ever. Free Concerts (with admission) include: Jason Castro, 38 Special, En Vogue, and 80’s favorite, the Commodores. Even Oprah is going to be at the fair this year (do you think she is going to give away cars to everyone?). There is so much to see and do. Check out the line up of concerts here and the full schedule of events here.
The Grease-O-Meter is Off the Charts this Year!
This year’s fried food extravaganza includes everything from Fried Butter (unbelievable, but true…that is not a typo) to the must-have-if-you-go-to-the-fair, famous Fletcher’s Corny Dog. For a full review on the 2009 fair’s foodfest, read Gourmet Girl’s take, Deep-Fried Butter. Need I Say More?
Lots of Ways to Save
Tickets are normally $15/person. Plan ahead, and you can purchase these at a discount with one of the many ways to save on your tickets below. Thank you to Family E guide for finding all these great deals and putting together this list!
1. Kroger Grocery Store is the official site for advanced ticket purchases. Go here for more details or stop by Kroger’s service desk to purchase these discount tickets:
DART/State Fair Combo Ticket: $16 (value of $19 and only available at Kroger Food Stores). This ticket gets you admission into the Fair AND a convenient round-trip ride via DART’s new Greenline. You’ll be delivered to the front gate of Fair Park ( plus you save on $10 fair parking and gas!). Note, that this is not valid for service on TRE or Fort Worth T which would need to be purchased separately (TRE details here).
Advance General Admission: $13.50 (compared to $15 at gates). Valid for any one-day admission.
Advance Season Pass: $29.95 (not sold at State Fair admission gates). This is a great deal if you are going to make at least 2 visits during the fair. This season pass includes: Unlimited visits for 2009, One free companion ticket, AND One free Cinemark Theater ticket.
2. Opening Day $4 Admission with a Food Donation to the North Texas Food Bank (September 25) – Bring an unopened 20 oz. (or more) Coca-Cola product to the admission gates and enter the State Fair for $4 per donation per person.
3. Tuesdays, Dr Pepper Day: $3 Admission – On Tuesdays, bring an empty Dr Pepper can to the admission gate and enter for $3.
4. After 5pm any day, Dr Pepper Day: $5 Admission – After 5pm, admission is $5 when you bring an empty Dr Pepper can to any State Fair admission gate.
5. Wednesdays, Kroger Day: 3 Cans for $1 Admission – When you bring 3 cans of food (per person) for area food banks, get admission for $1.
6. Thursdays, Coke Day: $4 Admission – Bring an empty 20 oz. bottle of a Coca-Cola product and enter the Fair for $4 admission.
7. Thursdays, Seniors Day: FREE Admission– HealthSpring and Mature Texan Magazine sponsor FREE Thursdays for Senior Citizens 60 years and older.
8. Thursdays, Cinemark: FREE Admission –Get FREE admission on Thursday by showing a Cinemark Theater ticket stub at the admissions gate.
9. Fridays, KISS-FM: 50% Off admission and half-price rides after 5 p.m. on any Friday. – Must present coupon printed from KISS-FM website for admission offer. Half-price ride wristbands will be distributed from KISS booth outside MidwayArch from 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. on Fridays only.
10. Friday, October 16, Dickies: FREE Admission – Wear your Dickies logo clothing item to the staffed tent outside the gate and receive a FREE admission voucher for Friday, October 16 only.
11. Any Day, McDonald’s: $4 off General Admission/FREE Child’s Admission – Stop by McDonald’s to get a State Fair coupon, good for any day of the Fair. Ticket provides $4 off general admission and a FREE child’s ticket (with purchase of general admission). Offer may not be combined with any other offer.
What: There is so much to see and do at the state fair, Take a look at the full schedule of events here.
Where: Fair Park, 3921 Martin Luther King Blvd., Dallas, TX 75210
When: Daily, September 25-October 18, 2009
How much: (See Promotions above to save)
- General Admission: $15
- Kids under 48” tall: $11
- Seniors 60 and over: $11
- Children 2 and under: Free
Want to keep up with fresh ways to save money and button down the family finances? Subscribe to Frugal in Fort Worth now. It’s FREE!
If you found this tip helpful, please leave
a comment or share this site with others!