Fun (& Greasy) Texas Fact of the Week: I recently discovered that the hamburger was invented in Texas (why don’t they teach these important details in Texas History?!?). I must admit that I’m just not that surprised, as all culinary roads do, indeed, lead to Texas. Yes. Yes they do.
This brings me to my 2nd related discovery…
Texas Monthly recently ran a self-described “gastro-scientific inquiry into the finest burgers” and ranked the top 50 hamburger joints in Texas. I was happy to see that 5 Fort Worth area burger spots landed on the list! <<For full-disclosure to my fellow Fort Worthians, I was startled to learn that Kincaid’s didn’t rank in the top 50. Outrage and heresy! ;) >> Read the full article here.
Texas Monthly’s 2-thumbs-up results for the Fort Worth Area:
- Dutch’s – “The nicely seasoned half pound of meat is smothered with a pile of blue cheese and a tangle of bacon. A goodly spread of chipotle mayo bridges the flavors, and fresh toppings seal the deal. The fries are fresh-cut and sprinkled with sea salt, and that just never, ever gets old.” 3009 S. University Dr
- Twisted Root Burger Co – “The beef patties—or buffalo, elk, and other game in season—are thick, the sweet-potato chips are fresh, and the spicy pickles are homemade, along with the root beer, ice cream, and chipotle ketchup.” Roanoke, 101 South Oak Street (also in Dallas: Deep Ellum and Richardson)
- Love Shack– “Only in Texas would anyone grind together tenderloin and brisket, but the blend yields such an excellent ratio of fat to lean that it will gladden your taste buds. The whole barnyard participates in this mouth-pleaser: It not only comes with crispy applewood-smoked bacon but also a fried quail egg clinging to the patty. The tangy, house-made Love Sauce fuses the whole thing into a glorious mess you won’t soon forget.” FW Stockyards, 110 E. Exchange Ave, 2nd Location just opened at 817 Matisse)
- Snuffer’s– “The laid-back Greenville Avenue restaurant original opened in 1978; since then more locations have sprouted… But what remains the same is the quality of that big, mouth-watering burger, particularly the cheesy-tangy Green Chile Swiss burger piled high with crisp shredded lettuce and fat tomato slices. And while it’s tough to beat the great fries, you’d be crazy not to order the cheddar fries at a place that’s bold enough to claim it invented them.” Southlake Center, next to the Harkins Movie Theatre ( plus 7 other locations in DFW).
- Fred’s Texas Café – “The Diablo Burger is Half a pound of ground beef, grilled and topped with taste bud–searing chipotles, heaped with Swiss cheese, and crowned with onion, pickles, tomato, lettuce, and mustard. The spicy elements play off perfectly against the cool and leafy ones; melted cheese provides the glue that holds it all together. Note: Don’t even think about wedging yourself into this popular, boisterous cafe and bar at rush hour.” 915 Currie Rd
If you are in the Dallas area, try these ranked spots:
- The Grape – The Classic Cheeseburger
- The Porch – The Stodg
- Cliff Cafe – Brie And Granny Smith Burger (I may just have to trek to Dallas to try this swanky burger. Brie makes everything better!)
- Jakes – #1 Jakes Special
- Twisted Root (listed above)
- Snuffer’s (listed above)
The Frugal Hamburger:
Enjoy this perfect Outdoor weather with DIY Grilling
Most of these hamburger spots are not exactly what I would qualify as “frugal” venues. To take a more cost-concious route, use these top ranked burgers to inspire your own grilled masterpiece at home and then use these directions for grilling the perfect hamburger (click here). These no-detail-left-uncovered instructions for the hamburger pièce de résistance come from the cookbook, Mastering the Grill: The Owner’s Manual for Outdoor Cooking.
Have another favorite hamburger spot in Fort Worth? Do tell us about it in the comments section. We would love to know!
Bon Appetite, Y’all!
• Give a Day. Get a FREE Day at DISNEY
• Your Savings Guide to the Texas State Fair – Dallas
• 5 Rules for Safe Bargain Hunting Online
• Great Sale on Shoes for the family (hard to fit Narrow & Wide sizes too)!
and button down the family finances?
comments section or forward this site to others!